Wednesday, June 8, 2011

On Playing Catch-Up

(Or: the part of the trip for which I have few photos):

Days 10-12 (San Antonio, Dallas)


Day 10:
Drove from Carlsbad to San Antonio.  I was starting to feel moderately better at this point, but it was a long drive.  We got in relatively late, hopped from motel to motel  price-comparing until we found a place for 45 with one bed and AC.  The bulletproof glass behind which the attendant was seated didn’t inspire confidence, nor did the “NO HOURLY RATES” sign, but you take what you can get, and it seemed far enough from the tougher parts of town we had driven through.  We then headed back to the urban center of San Antonio, and went to a Pat O’Brien’s, a bar based on a New Orleans speakeasy built by an Irishman, and later copied in San Antonio. 

The river running through the city is interesting – it’s very isolated from the rest of the city, because it’s on a lower level (down by the river).  The food was decent, but we were both very tired at this point.  We headed back to the motel, watched a few episodes of Wakfu, and then went to sleep.

Day 11:

We woke up as early as we could (10:30am), and went to the Alamo, to satisfy my history major traveling partner’s desire to see historically important places where lots of people killed each other.

The site was actually quite well preserved, and had a lot of historical artifacts.  The barracks had been converted into a museum, and we were able to see that, but the church itself had a line longer than the whole park to get in, and so we decided to make our way.

After grabbing lunch at a place called Iron Cactus down on the river, we started our drive to Dallas.  The riverside area was (mercifully) less crowded at noon than it had been the night before.

Also saw this as we exited the city.  Sadly (or perhaps, thankfully) it was not open at noon.

Several dozen road games later, we got in, and met up with my traveling partner’s cousins, who were kind enough to put us up for the next two nights.  We hit up a(nother) Mexican restaurant, then bar, and I tried some sangria, which was mediocre, and then played Apples to Apples while one cousin’s fiancĂ© got increasingly drunk and dug himself deeper and deeper into a hole of pre-marital couch-exiling.

After going up to the roof for a while, we headed back and hit the sack for the night.

Day 12:

Got up around 11:30, grabbed some lunch at a place called Ozona, and then watched some stand-up comedy and movies.  Ordered pizza.  Watched more movies.  Did nothing I couldn't have done elsewhere, but it was nice to relax and helped me get over my cold.


No comments:

Post a Comment